House number 8 on the present General Joseph Bem Square (formerly Burek or the Holy Spirit Square) was indicated as the birthplace of Joseph Bem probably by a historian – Jan Leniek, a headmaster of the II Gymnasium in Tarnow. On 15 December 1910, on the sixtieth anniversary of general’s death, mayor Tadeusz Tertil proposed, and the Town Council passed a resolution, “to place a plaque in the wall of Bem’s birth house” to commemorate this event. The plaque was designed by major Brzozowski and built in for a hundred krones remitted by the town. It was placed in the face wall of the house “registered as nr 88 Zawale, and marked with the ordinal number 2, Holy Spirit Square”, as Franciszek Herzig stated in his monograph Dzieje miasta Tarnowa (The History of Tarnow). Today, after a thorough investigation of the history and geography of Tarnow, it is impossible to define the exact place of Bem’s birth, except that it took place in the suburb called Burek.