Tarnow and region - Tourist Information / Worth seeing / Did you know that...?

Did you know that...?

"Pearl of Renaissance"

- TARNÓW - Rynek (01)

Tarnów enjoyed its greatest time of prosperity in the 16th c. under hetman Jan Tarnowski who transformed the town into “Renaissance pearl” of Poland. Tarnowski has modernized Tarnów introducing numerous innovations to the infrastructure, legal and social aspects of the functioning of his town. He ordered to replace all the wooden building in the center with concrete ones and surrounded Tarnów with modern walls. With King’s approval, Tarnowski hired royal sculptor and architect, Jan Maria Padovano (Gianmaria Mosca). Padovano has supervised reconstruction of the Town Hall and created several sepulchral monuments in the Cathedral. His works are recognized as the masterpieces of Polish Renaissance art.

Tarnów is second largest complex of monuments in Małopolska

Tarnów_Town_hall_small

They are scattered all around the city and range from the Gothic to modernistic. 

Tarnów - the warmest place in Poland

The long-term mean annual temperature equals 8.8 C and is the highest in Poland.

The only painted village in Poland

Zalipie - Malowana Wieś (4)

North of Tarnów, where Dunajec and Vistula rivers meet, resides one of the most interesting ethnographic micro-regions in Poland with the village of Zalipie at its center. It has earned the name of "painted village" because of a region specific tradition that involves the painting of cottages.

The largest Baroque residence

Nowy Wiśnicz - Zamek (4)

The Castle in Nowy Wisnicz is the largest preserved Baroque fortified residence in Poland. The structure has received its current Renaissance-inspired facade during the reign of Piotr Kmita. The residence is composed of four two-story wings surrounding a quaint, little courtyard. The feature that allows the Castle its unparalleled allure is the four towers that proudly stand at each of the corners of the residence.

The biggest wooden church

Skrzyszów - Kościół p.w. św. Stanisława Biskupa (2)

St. Stanislaw Church in Skrzyszów was erected in 1517 and has earned the title of the biggest wooden church in Małopolska as a one-part church, with two chapels. The church has a tower and is surrounded by cloisters. Its most prized relics are late Gothic sculptures on the altar and the sculpture of St. Barbara, which dates back to 1500.

Jan Szczepanik aka the Polish Edison

Szczepanik_portrait_m

Jan Szczepanik, the most versatile Polish inventor, spent several years in Tarnów. He was the pioneer of color photography, television and color films, precursor of modern textile industry, including the bullet-proof jacket.

General Bem – The Hero of Two Nations

Gen_Bem

General Joseph Bem, Polish and Hungarian national hero, was born in Tarnów on March 14, 1794. His home was located right outside the town walls, in the neighborhood of an open-air market called “Burek”. The exact dates of his birth and baptism can be found in the registers of the Cathedral parish.

"Stone City"

Ciężkowice - Skamieniałe Miasto (2)

The monadnocks have formed into an extremely bizarre and interesting way as the result of harsh atmospheric factors like rain, wind and frost. Other natural elements have also altered the shape of the rocks, like the Scrub Pine that roots itself deeply into cracks and splits the rock. However, despite the attempts of science to explain such a phenomena, the locals have adopted their own unique understanding of the rock formations.

Hometown of the Templeton Prize laureate

heller

Michał (Michael) Heller was born in Tarnów on March 12, 1936. He is the first Polish laureate of the Templeton Prize for Progress Toward Research or Discoveries about Spiritual Realities.

He is an active member of the Vatican Observatory, the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Polish Physical Society, the Polish Astronomical Society, the International Society for General Relativity and Gravitation, the European Physical Society, the Center for Theology and the Natural Science.